- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Washington Nationals Roster review: Corey Brown
Age on Opening Day 2014: 28
How acquired: Trade with Athletics, Dec. 2010
MLB service time: 94 days
2013 salary+bonuses: N/A
Contract status: Arbitration-eligible in 2017, free agent in 2020
2013 Stats: 14 G, 15 PA, 12 AB, 2 R, 2 H, 2B, HR, RBI, SB, 3 BB, 4 SO, .167 BA, .833 OPS, 126 OPS+, 0.0 WAR
2013 analysis: Corey Brown spent the majority of his 2013 season at Triple-A Syracuse and missed a month early in the year due to an oblique injury. Because of the time lost, he only appeared in 107 minor league games before getting the call to Washington in early September. The outfielder couldn’t quite recreate his standout 2012 season in Triple-A, but once again had a solid campaign. In those 107 games with the Chiefs he batted .254 with 57 runs, 19 home runs, 56 RBI and 26 doubles.
Brown stayed in the minors for nearly the entire season despite there being a need at the big league level for a lefty bench bat. Even when Roger Bernandina was hitting below the Mendoza line all year, the Nats stuck with him through 85 games before cutting him loose. Even then Brown didn’t get a shot. He finally made it back to the majors as a September call-up for the third consecutive season.
Read the full story here:
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.