- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
Who’s left? Looking at best MLB free agents available
There are six weeks left until pitchers and catchers report to 2014 MLB spring training, but still there remain several big name free agents left on the market.
Yesterday I detailed the Nationals’ recent history of making late offseason splashes, and this year could be no different. The only problem is the guys left to be signed aren’t necessarily fits in Washington.
This year there is no Rafael Soriano or Edwin Jackson out there ready to fill a vacancy on the Nats’ roster. For instance, their rotation looks to be completely set after the Doug Fister trade and six of the top ten free agents according to Hardball Talk’s 2014 FA Tracker are starting pitchers.
Here is a look at the ten best players left via HBT’s top 150:
1. Masahiro Tanaka - RHP, 25 years old
2. Matt Garza - RHP, 30 years old
3. Ervin Santana - RHP, 31 years old*
4. Ubaldo Jimenez - RHP, 29 years old*
5. A.J. Burnett - RHP, 37 years old*
6. Nelson Cruz - OF, 33 years old*
7. Stephen Drew - SS, 31 years old*
8. Bronson Arroyo - RHP, 37 years old
9. Kendrys Morales - 1B-DH, 30 years old*
10. Grant Balfour - CL, 36 years old
None of those names really jump out as obvious fits with the Nats. Most of them are starters and the top position players available require teams to forfeit draft picks (noted with *).
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014