- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- NATO sends surveillance planes to watch Ukraine
- Climate change not a top concern of Americans, poll shows
- GM faces federal investigation for slow recall that led to 13 deaths
- Iran president reaches out to Oman on friendship tour
- FAA’s pre-Malaysia flight warning: 777s have cracking, corrosion issues
- Facebook HQ locked down; employees searched as police field threat
- Glenn Ford free, after serving 30 years for murder he didn’t commit
- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
Who’s left? Looking at best MLB free agents available
There are six weeks left until pitchers and catchers report to 2014 MLB spring training, but still there remain several big name free agents left on the market.
Yesterday I detailed the Nationals’ recent history of making late offseason splashes, and this year could be no different. The only problem is the guys left to be signed aren’t necessarily fits in Washington.
This year there is no Rafael Soriano or Edwin Jackson out there ready to fill a vacancy on the Nats’ roster. For instance, their rotation looks to be completely set after the Doug Fister trade and six of the top ten free agents according to Hardball Talk’s 2014 FA Tracker are starting pitchers.
Here is a look at the ten best players left via HBT’s top 150:
1. Masahiro Tanaka - RHP, 25 years old
2. Matt Garza - RHP, 30 years old
3. Ervin Santana - RHP, 31 years old*
4. Ubaldo Jimenez - RHP, 29 years old*
5. A.J. Burnett - RHP, 37 years old*
6. Nelson Cruz - OF, 33 years old*
7. Stephen Drew - SS, 31 years old*
8. Bronson Arroyo - RHP, 37 years old
9. Kendrys Morales - 1B-DH, 30 years old*
10. Grant Balfour - CL, 36 years old
None of those names really jump out as obvious fits with the Nats. Most of them are starters and the top position players available require teams to forfeit draft picks (noted with *).
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Search for missing Malaysian airliner widens as mystery deepens
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Obamacare 3 million shy of target with 19 days left to sign up
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again