- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
- Forget the Porsche — it’s the guy with the Prius that attracts the ladies, poll shows
- Fired Russian Facebook CEO says site has fallen in the hands of pro-Putin supporters
- Sen. Boozman of Arkansas has emergency heart surgery
- Brazil embraces drones to save the Amazon rain forest
- Teen stowaway shows holes in vast airport security
- Supreme Court to decide if passports can say ‘Jerusalem, Israel’
- Cries of anguish as South Korea ferry toll tops 100
Caps’ Nicklas Backstrom named to Swedish Olympic team
It looks as though the Capitals will have three players heading to the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia next month.
Capitals center Nicklas Backstrom was named to the Swedish Olympic team on Tuesday morning, joining teammate John Carlson, who was named to Team USA on New Year’s Day. Alex Ovechkin was named to the Russian Olympic team later Tuesday.
Caps left wing/center Marcus Johansson was left off Sweden’s 25-man roster.
A native of Gavle, Sweden, Backstrom has represented his country in six major international events, participating in three World Championships (2007, 2008, 2012), two World Junior Championships [2006, 2007], and the 2010 Winter Olympics.
In 42 games with the Caps this season Backstrom leads all Swedish players in the NHL with 46 points [10 goals, 36 assists]. He ranks tied for seventh in the NHL in points (46), fourth in assists (36) and first in power-play points (25) and power-play assists (22).
Since Backstrom entered the NHL in 2007-08, only three players have collected more assists (Henrik Sedin, Joe Thornton and Martin St. Louis).
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, renegade
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Michelle Obama: Obama family Sundays are more for napping than church
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan affirmative action ban
- Supreme Court seems skeptical of Ohio law to police campaign 'lies'
- Kerry accuses Moscow of fomenting Ukraine unrest
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.